Saturday, February 4, 2012

Eons

I'm dusting off the cobwebs and sweeping up a bit around here because it has been eons since my last post. I fell into a hole and have been slowly creeping out of it - said hole was very dark and deep.

My husband suffered a stroke December 7th 2010 while he was doing some work in his sisters house in Cambridge. I wasn't with him when it happened - I wish I would have been there. There is no turning back time - the damage is done. He waited too long and insisted that he would go to the emergency hospital in the morning (he thought he had a back injury) - I insisted he go immediately because he couldn't walk - I was over-ruled but should have called an ambulance from home. By morning not only could he not walk he was found curled up in a ball on the floor in a puddle of urine. An ambulance was called he was rushed to Mass General and it was there that the rest of our lives began.

It took months for him to learn how to walk, feed and care for himself. Weeks in rehab hospital and then to a secondary rehab then home. No longer the strong man and doer he was. How life has changed.

Now a year has gone by progress is measured in the smallest of increments - the 2 year mark will tell us how much he will regain and that door is shutting quickly. We can only remain hopeful and grateful that he escaped with his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment